AE Communicatio n Between Cultures
Larry A. Samovar, Richard E. Porter, Edwin R. McDaniel, Carolyn Sexton Roy
ISBN-13: 9789814834223 | ISBN-10: 981483422x
Copyright 2017 | Published 2018 | 480 pages
Packed with current research and examples, bestselling COMMUNICATION BETWEEN CULTURES, 9E equips students with a deep understanding and appreciation of different cultures while helping them develop practical communication skills. Part I introduces the study of communication and culture; Part II focuses on the ability of culture to shape and modify our view of reality; Part III puts the theory of intercultural communication into practice; and Part IV converts knowledge into action. This is the only text to consistently emphasize religion and history as key variables in intercultural communication. Compelling examples force students to examine their own assumptions, perceptions, and cultural biases--enabling them to understand the subtle and profound ways culture affects communication. The ninth edition offers expanded discussions of the impact of globalization, a new chapter on intercultural communication competence, and more coverage of new technology.
Table of Contents
1. Intercultural Communication: A Requirement for the Interdependent Global Society.
2. Communication and Culture: The Voice and the Echo.
3. The Deep Structure of Culture: Lessons from the Family.
4. Worldview: Cultural Explanations of Life and Death.
5. Cultural History: Precursor to the Present and Future.
6. Cultural Values: Roadmaps for Behavior.
7. Culture and Identity: Situating the Individual.
8. Verbal Messages: Exchanging Ideas Through Language.
9. Nonverbal Communication: The Messages of Action, Space, Time, and Silence.
10. Intercultural Communication in Contexts: Application in Business, Education, and Healthcare.
11. The Challenges of Intercultural Communication: Managing Differences.